The Dangers of Mosquitoes in Your Backyard

If you live in Lakeland, then you know just how bad the mosquito season gets with our many lakes. Across the Tampa Bay area, as people try to enjoy their summer and throw family BBQs, mosquitoes are in their breeding season. While many may just treat this as an annoyance, mosquitoes can bring some serious health effects for you, your family, and your pets. 

What Dangers Do Mosquitoes Pose in Florida? 

Spread of Disease

Other than being an annoyance and causing itchy bites, mosquitoes are the carriers of many blood-borne diseases. This is the main concern health experts have when it comes to mosquitoes. There are a few mosquito-spread diseases to be aware of, especially in the Tampa Bay Area. 

West Nile Virus Disease 

According to the CDC, West Nile Virus (WNV) is the most common mosquito-spread disease found in the United States. Florida is one of the states where human transmission of the WNV has been documented. While roughly 80% of people won’t experience any symptoms, it can cause illness for the other 20% or potentially fatal for less than 1%. 

St. Louis Encephalitis

Another mosquito-borne virus that is found in Florida is St. Louis encephalitis. Similarly to WNV, most people will not experience any symptoms from St. Louis encephalitis, especially those younger than age. However, if diagnosed and showing symptoms, it can have serious effects on your health and has a 5-20% mortality rate. 

Zika Virus

In recent years, there have been discussions and concerns over the Zika virus. Many people were fearful of its side effects, and you may be wondering how much of a concern it is for you and your family. Luckily, in Florida and the United States, Zika has been eliminated since 2016-2017. If you’re planning to travel outside of the US, you can prevent Zika exposure by checking to see if the area you’re traveling to has any cases and getting the vaccine as a precaution. 


Malaria is one of the most well-known mosquito-borne diseases to the general public. Found in tropical climates, this is a very serious and potentially fatal disease. Fortunately, malaria was eradicated from Florida in the 1940s. Like the Zika virus, the only concern is for travelers. If you are traveling to a tropical area outside of the United States, receiving a malaria vaccine will help protect you from this disease. 

Concerns for Your Furry Friends


If you’re a dog or cat owner, then you know how serious heartworm can be and how important preventative measures are. What you may not realize is that heartworm can be spread by mosquito bites. 

While not all mosquitoes carry heartworm, it’s not worth the risk. Make sure your pets are up-to-date on their heartworm prevention and call the experts at Anti-Pesto to treat your yard for mosquitoes today

Eastern Equine Encephalitis

If you’re in the more rural regions of the Tampa Bay area and own horses, you’ll want to be aware of the mosquito-borne virus Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE). While it can affect other mammals like cats, dogs, or even humans, it is rare, often mild, and easily recoverable. However, if your horse contracts EEE, it is fatal over 80% of the time. You can protect your horses from this by keeping up with vaccines and using horse-safe insect repellents. 

Protect You and Your Family with Anti-Pesto 

We at Anti-Pesto are well aware of the dangers mosquitoes can pose to you and those you love, furry or not. That’s why we offer services to both control the mosquito population and prevent it from the source. 

We offer prevention plans catered to your home’s needs that are safe for your little ones, pets, and the environment. Our experts use control methods that directly target mosquito breeding grounds in your yard. This way we stop mosquitoes before they can become a problem. Ready to book? Schedule now

We want you to be able to enjoy your summer as soon as possible, so we even offer $25 off your first treatment. To begin a fun, healthy summer, get a free quote to protect your family from the effects of mosquitos or call today at 727-524-6333.

"*" indicates required fields

Get a Free Estimate

Zip Code*

By submitting this form, you are agreeing to the privacy policy.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.